Saturday, April 27, 2024

Nite Owl - Tony Allen & the Champs

Nite Owl - Tony Allen & the Champs
2:45
single, 1955
Written by Tony Allen

This is a mid-tempo soul doo-wop with a serene instrumentation, insistent piano lines over gentle guitar, by Specialty's house group, often credited as the Chimes. The backing vocals of "Ooh, night owl" follow every line. "Nite Owl" was a nickname that Allen's mother gave him due to his habit of staying out at night, but in the song, Allen applies the name to a former girlfriend.  With a fine, wailing vocal, he lets her know exactly how he feels: "Well, here come the night owl / Walking through the front door / Thought I told you, baby / I don't love you no more."

No comments:

Post a Comment

California (All the Way) - Luna

California (All the Way) - Luna 4:15 Bewitched , 1994 Written by Dean Wareham I don't usually care for shoegaze or this type of dreamy ...