Sunday, April 27, 2025

I Am the Man Thomas - Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mountain Boys

I Am the Man Thomas - Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mountain Boys
1:56
Cry From the Cross, 1971
Written by Ralph Stanley and Larry Sparks

A fierce bluegrass rendering of John 20:24-29, in which the disciple Thomas Didymus refused to believe that Jesus is reborn unless he can actually touch the crucifixion scars.  "They pierced me in the side, Thomas, I am the Man / I died on the cross, Thomas, I am the Man."  This song has been covered by a variety of artists, including some great live versions by Bob Dylan around 2000.  It's easy to see why; Stanley's urgent, nasal vocal and rapid-fire banjo picking make it a short but powerful mountain gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grand Salami Time! - The Baseball Project

Grand Salami Time! - The Baseball Project 3:21 Grand Salami Time! , 2023 Written by Peter Buck and Scott McCaughey The title of this song i...