Saturday, May 3, 2025

If Sugar Was As Sweet As You - Joe Tex

If Sugar Was As Sweet As You - Joe Tex
2:58
The Love You Save, 1966
Written by Joe Tex

A funky, joyful paean to the woman who turned the narrator's life around with her love ("Because you came along and showed me I was wrong / Now that I think that I can carry on").  It's a common sentiment in song, but Joe Tex sells it with a preacher's fire and rascal's grin, backed by a rousing horn section.  The real hook, though, is the delightful chorus, which compares her to sugar, to sugar's detriment: "You know that you so sweet / You make sugar taste just like salt."  It's a catchy Southern soul version of Shakespeare's Sonnet 18, where his love is nicer than a summer's day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grand Salami Time! - The Baseball Project

Grand Salami Time! - The Baseball Project 3:21 Grand Salami Time! , 2023 Written by Peter Buck and Scott McCaughey The title of this song i...