Thursday, September 4, 2025

People's Parties - Joni Mitchell

People's Parties - Joni Mitchell
2:15
Court And Spark, 1974
Written by Joni Mitchell

In this song, parties and laughing mask loneliness and estrangement.  "I'm just living on nerves and feelings, with a weak and a lazy mind / And coming to people's parties, fumbling, deaf, dumb, and blind."  With a beautiful piano melody, and lush atmospheric arrangement, the song uses vivid, specific details to create a universal portrait of unease and detachment at lavish social gatherings, capturing the hollowness of LA parties specifically ("I told you when I met you I was crazy / Cry for us all, Beauty / Cry for Eddie in the corner, thinking he's nobody") and the emotional disconnect between people in general. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit Or Miss - New Found Glory

Hit Or Miss - New Found Glory 3:22 New Found Glory , 2000 Written by Jordan Pundik, Ian Grushka. Chad Gilbert, Cyrus Bolooki, and Steve Kle...