Friday, January 2, 2026

Fist City - Loretta Lynn

Fist City - Loretta Lynn
2:13
Fist City, 1968
Written by Loretta Lynn

Stung by her husband's philandering while she was on tour, Lynn wrote this song as a warning for other women to stay away from him if they do not want to be physically beaten by her.  Though I do wonder why she wouldn't direct her anger toward him more than the ladies.  While I have to admit that "go to fist city" is a terrific euphemism for fighting, she does mix her metaphors in the line "You better move your feet if you don't wanna eat a meal that′s called Fist City."  Still, you have to admire Lynn's way with words.  She paints a vivid picture:  "If you don't wanna go to Fist City you better detour around my town / 'Cause I'll grab you by the hair of the head and I'll lift you off of the ground."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grand Salami Time! - The Baseball Project

Grand Salami Time! - The Baseball Project 3:21 Grand Salami Time! , 2023 Written by Peter Buck and Scott McCaughey The title of this song i...