Tuesday, February 24, 2026

Hi Heel Sneakers - Tommy Tucker

Hi Heel Sneakers - Tommy Tucker
2:48
single, 1964
Written by Tommy Tucker

Despite decades of listening to Dylan's "I Shall be Free No. 10" and its lines "I sat with my high-heeled sneakers on / Waiting to play tennis in the noonday sun / I had my white shorts rolled up past my waist / And my wig-hat was falling in my face," I had no idea until recently that they were cribbed from this song's "Put on your high-heel sneakers, baby / Wear your wig-hat on your head." Dylan also took inspiration from this song for his "shadow boxing" verse on the same song. Tucker sings here, "Put on your red dress, baby / Lord, we′re goin' out tonight / And bring along some boxin' gloves / In case some fool might wanna fight," apparently referring to his early years as amateur prize fighter. This song also inspired Sugar Pie DeSanto's "Slip-In Mules."  In an unrelated note, Tucker's birth name was Robert Higginbotham, which I think he should have stuck with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit Or Miss - New Found Glory

Hit Or Miss - New Found Glory 3:22 New Found Glory , 2000 Written by Jordan Pundik, Ian Grushka. Chad Gilbert, Cyrus Bolooki, and Steve Kle...