The Bargain Store - Dolly Parton
2:44
The Bargain Store, 1975
The Bargain Store, 1975
Written by Dolly Parton
The narrator of this song compares herself to used merchandise in a discount store, her past making up the old detritus and second-hand goods found in such markets. She invites a prospective lover to offer her a new love she can trade her broken heart for, much the same way one might bargain for older goods: "Take these old used memories from the past / And these broken dreams and plans that didn't last / I'll trade them for a future, I can't use them anymore / I've wasted love but I still have some more." Hilariously, the song was dropped from a number of some radio stations when programmers decided the line "You can easily afford the price" referred to prostitution! Dolly sings it in a breezy style that belies the melancholy lyric.
No comments:
Post a Comment