Tuesday, September 15, 2026

I Guess the Lord Must Be in New York City - Harry Nilsson

I Guess the Lord Must Be in New York City - Harry Nilsson
2:43
Harry, 1969
Written by Harry Nilsson

This song was written for, but not included in, the excellent film Midnight Cowboy.  Too bad, because it sits nicely alongside the beautiful, and similarly gentle, "Everybody's Talkin'."  Taking the lyrics at face value, it's an optimistic song, from the point of view of someone tired of being on the losing end, wanting his prayers to come true for once.  "Say goodbye to all my sorrow / And by tomorrow, I'll be on my way."  However, knowing how the movie ends casts a pall on the deceptively sanguine words.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey Ma - Aaron Rowe

Hey Ma - Aaron Rowe 4:00 single, 2025 Written by Aaron Rowe This soulful acoustic ballad is in the form of a telephone call to the narrator...