Saturday, October 3, 2026

Night Nurse - Gregory Isaacs

Night Nurse - Gregory Isaacs
4:10
Night Nurse, 1982
Written by Gregory Isaacs, and Sylvester Weise

This is a prime example of lovers rock, the easy reggae style introduced to white people by the Clash in their song of the same name.  Over a slow-burning synth beat, Isaacs delivers his delicate, smooth vocals, calling for the only one who can heal the pain of a broken heart.  "I don't want to see no doc / I need attendance from my nurse around the clock."  I love the pleading croon in his voice even as he gets self-referential: "Tell her it's a case of emergency / There's a patient by the name of Gregory."  Hilarious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Night Nurse - Gregory Isaacs

Night Nurse - Gregory Isaacs 4:10 Night Nurse , 1982 Written by Gregory Isaacs, and Sylvester Weise This is a prime example of lovers rock,...