Friday, May 10, 2024

Pickle Song - Jordan Smart

Pickle Song - Jordan Smart
3:01
single, 2023
Written by Jordan Smart

In vocal delivery, guitar and percussion arrangement, organ, and pacing, there is no avoiding this song's remarkably close similarity to "Bob Dylan's 115th Dream"-era Dylan.  The resemblance is so strong, I can't help but wonder if it's a deliberate parody.  In the song,  pickles are an allegory for immigrants or any other minority group oppressed by right wing jingoists:  "I don't ask no one for nothin', work hard as I can / It seems to me that pickles got it easier than man / I say we go on down to the local grocery store / Round up all them pickle jars and smash em on the floor."  It's not heavy-handed, and sung with the jovial acerbity of an Arlo Guthrie, and there's a groaner of a pun in the final line that makes me forgive everything else:  "But you can keep them Kalamatas, because we all know olives matter."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here She Comes Again - The Stands

Here She Comes Again - The Stands 2:19 All Years Leaving , 2004 Written by Howie Payne Back in 2023, I featured  "When This River Roll...