Thursday, December 18, 2025

Singing the Blues - Marty Robbins

Singing the Blues - Marty Robbins
2:25
single, 1957
Written by Melvin Endsley

Fun fact: this is the song the Clash are referencing in the final line of "London Calling" when Strummer fades out stuttering, "I never felt so much like-a, like-a..."  A neat bridge between punk apocalypse and old-school heartbreak.  Anyway, this song's message is pop's most common, a lost love lament: "Well I never felt more like crying all night / Cause everything's wrong and nothing ain't right / Without you, you got me singing the blues."  The words are deeply maudlin, but the music is bright and effervescent, with a cheery piano bouncing along as Robbins pipes out the lyrics in his velvet voice, sounding pleased as punch.  I guess even despair can swing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit Or Miss - New Found Glory

Hit Or Miss - New Found Glory 3:22 New Found Glory , 2000 Written by Jordan Pundik, Ian Grushka. Chad Gilbert, Cyrus Bolooki, and Steve Kle...