Wednesday, June 10, 2026

Lily Maebelle - The Valentines

Lily Maebelle - The Valentines
2:18
single, 1955
Written by Richard Barrett, Tommy Vastola, and Raymond Briggs

This is a paean to the titular lady, who left the narrator.  It's a toe-tapping doo-wop with buzzy early rock sax break and primitive lyrics — the sole verse being "I told you that I love you until the day I die / I told that I need you, how could you say goodbye."  The song punches way above its weight in terms of catchiness and energy; it might grow tiresome over repeated plays, but it does serve as a display of how much verve those overlooked, largely black, '50s artists had.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grand Salami Time! - The Baseball Project

Grand Salami Time! - The Baseball Project 3:21 Grand Salami Time! , 2023 Written by Peter Buck and Scott McCaughey The title of this song i...