Monday, August 31, 2026

All I Can Do - Dolly Parton

All I Can Do - Dolly Parton
2:27
All I Can Do, 1976
Written by Dolly Parton

I close out my lengthy tribute to Dolly Parton, one of the greatest entertainers and all-around human beings, with this rollicking title cut from 1976.  In the song, the narrator discovers that she's "caught feelings," as the kids say nowadays, for someone in her life: "I wasn't looking for love when I found you / Just someone to be with and have a good time."  Should she tell her love how she feels, and take the chance on rejection?  As William Blake put it, "Never seek to tell thy love / Love that never told can be."  With handclaps, mouth organ, and sing-along  choruses, the song builds a rousing, gospel-flavored vibe that belies the uncertainty of the narrator. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

1612 - Vulfpeck

1612 - Vulfpeck 3:20 Fugue State , 2014 Written by Jack Stratton Featuring handclaps, keyboards, walking bass, and a falsetto vocal that wo...