Wednesday, May 15, 2024

Queen Of Memphis - Confederate Railroad

Queen Of Memphis - Confederate Railroad
3:20
Confederate Railroad, 1992
Written by Dave Gibson and Kathy Louvin

I've never heard of this hit-making country band, but they served as the backing band for David Allen Coe and Johnny Paycheck.  That make this tidbit from Wikipedia all the more hilarious: "Lead vocalist Danny Shirley was the only band member to record any parts for the album. Shirley only performed lead vocals on the album. Session musicians played all the instruments on the album and performed all background vocals on the album."  They're a fake band!  Anyway, this song is a hummable number about a lost love, appealing to down-home nostalgia ("I saw stars dancing on the water / I heard Elvis singing 'Blue Suede Shoes'").  Bright piano lines and steel guitar keep your head bopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here She Comes Again - The Stands

Here She Comes Again - The Stands 2:19 All Years Leaving , 2004 Written by Howie Payne Back in 2023, I featured  "When This River Roll...