Wednesday, October 15, 2025

New York City Cops - The Strokes

New York City Cops - The Strokes
3:31
single, 2001
Written by Julian Casablancas

This song was written in response to the 1999 killing of Amadou Diallo by four plainclothes police officers, although aside from the chorus, you would not know that from the abstruse lyrics ("Here in the streets so mechanized / Rise to the bottom of the meaning of life / Studied all the rules and I want no part / But I let you in just to break this heart").  If this refers in any way to injustice in the streets of the Big Apple, I am at a loss as to say how.  Regardless of what Casablancas might mean by them, hiswords are delivered in an angry roar — a change from his typical detached drone — backed by the usual minimalist, machine-tight drums and twin guitar lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your Mouth is a Garden - Raynes

Your Mouth is a Garden - Raynes 3:57 Bloom , 2025 Written by Raynes This is an upbeat blend of pop and folk with a driving percussive beat,...