Friday, April 12, 2024

King Of Kings - Jimmy Cliff

King Of Kings - Jimmy Cliff
3:23
single, 1963
Written by Jimmy Cliff

I know this song from the 1997 cover by Prince Buster & the Skatalites.  Cliff's version is slower, more muted and more laid-back, and features the lion's roar sound effect less.  The song is a fable in which the lion declares his supremacy over all the other animals.  "The elephant says, I am king because I'm strong / Giraffe says, I am king 'cause my neck is long / There's no doubt that you are all wrong / The lion says, I am king 'cause I'm double strong."  Well, Aesop probably agrees with that.  I always wondered if the lyric was a Christian religious metaphor, but there's nothing in the song to indicate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

California (All the Way) - Luna

California (All the Way) - Luna 4:15 Bewitched , 1994 Written by Dean Wareham I don't usually care for shoegaze or this type of dreamy ...