Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Mexico - Cake

Mexico - Cake
3:26
Prolonging the Magic, 1998
Written by John McCrea

I read that this album was meant as an attempt to make an album without the typical Cake irony and wry wit.  You could have fooled me,  This song, all trumpet and pedal steel, is an entry, or possibly a pastiche, of the genre of star-crossed love south of the border songs, but with tongue firmly in cheek.  "I don't know much about Cinco DeMayo / I'm never sure what it's all about / But I said I want you and you don't believe me."  This isn't a serious song, and that's why we listen to Cake.  The deadpan delivery and the trumpet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hit Or Miss - New Found Glory

Hit Or Miss - New Found Glory 3:22 New Found Glory , 2000 Written by Jordan Pundik, Ian Grushka. Chad Gilbert, Cyrus Bolooki, and Steve Kle...