Wednesday, August 5, 2026

Simple Song - The Shins

Simple Song - The Shins
4:15
Port Of Morrow, 2012
Written by James Mercer

This melodic slice of power-pop was inspired by Mercer's wife, and is thus a love song of sorts ("Remember walking a mile to your house, a glow in the dark / I made a fumbling play for your heart and the act struck a spark"), but I read that it was also inspired by the departure of some Shins band members, which the chorus hints at: "I know that things can really get rough when you go it alone / Don't go thinking you gotta be tough, to play like a stone / Could be there’s nothing else in our lives so critical / As this little home!"  Since the Shins is basically a one-man show at this point, maybe their place in that particular home wasn't all that critical after all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

That's Right (You're Not From Texas) - Lyle Lovett

That's Right (You're Not From Texas) - Lyle Lovett 4:55 The Road To Ensenada , 1996 Written by Lyle Lovett, Willis Alan Ramsey, and...